Eco-Conscious Preschool and Elementary School
“I know it may seem small and insignificant, but it’s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.”
~ The Lorax
At Island Prep being eco-friendly is not just a fad. Often you hear about crunchy, tree huggers and being green, but being a friend to the environment and being conscious of how you are affecting the world is all of our responsibility. Concern for the environment is not just for Al Gore, Greta Thunberg, and Leonardo DiCaprio, it is a culture and community through which we are able to impart knowledge and techniques to our students. We have become a hub for our parents to share information about conservation techniques, green living ideas, and healthy and green products as we learn more about becoming increasingly eco-conscious. We have realized that each student has a unique story and by listening to our families we learn how to improve our facilities to be beneficial to everyone.
In our organic gardens we show the students how to care for the plants, create compost and enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Our teachers set classroom and individual challenges for the students to think of creative ways to help reduce their impact on the environment. Teachers help the students think outside the box and work together as a team.
It is important to teach our children from a young age to respect the Earth and the environment. Island Prep is focused on doing our part to reduce our carbon footprint. Students learn the importance of recycling and conserving the Earth’s precious resources as a part of our daily educational curriculum.
How we help the world and our school stay healthy and green:
- Shoe-Free Facility to keep pesticides, chemicals, germs and bacteria from coming in
- Paperless Tuition Payment and Newsletters
- Greenguard Certified Classroom Equipment
- Recycled Pour In Place Playground Surfacing
- Cloth Diaper Friendly
- Eco-Friendly Flooring
- Organic Garden and Composting
- Eco-friendly Cleaning Products (no harsh chemicals)
- Paperless Email, Text Reminders and Newsletters
- Electronic Sign In/Out TouchPad Screen
- Eco-Friendly Website (host site is wind powered)
- Recycling in each classroom
- Recycled Paper Products, Office Paper, and Toilet Paper
- Non VOC Paint Products
- Oxygen Producing Plants in each classroom
- Curriculum Incorporates Protecting the Environment
- Limit the Use of Disposable Packaging and Water Bottles
As you develop your awareness in nature, you begin to see how we influence all life and how all life influences us.