Eco-Conscious Preschool and Elementary School
“I know it may seem small and insignificant, but it’s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.”
~The Once-ler, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
Being eco-friendly is not a fad. Often you hear about crunchy, tree huggers and being green, but being a friend to the environment and being conscious of how you are affecting the world is our responsibility. Concern for the environment is not just for Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio, it is a culture and community through which we are able to impart knowledge and techniques to our students. We have become a hub for our parents to share information about conservation techniques, green living ideas as we learn more about becoming more eco-concious. We have realized that each student has a unique story and by listening to our families we learn how to improve the facility to be beneficial to everyone.
We have an organic garden and show the students how to care for the plants, create compost and enjoy the fruits of their labor.
We have classroom and individual challenges for the students to think of creative ways to help reduce their impact to the environment. The teachers help the students think outside the box and work together as a team.
It is important to teach our children from a young age to respect the Earth and the environment. Island Prep Eco-Conscious Preschool is focused on doing our part to reduce our carbon footprint. Students learn the importance of recycling and saving the Earth’s precious resources on a daily basis.
How we help the world and our school stay healthy at our Eco-Conscious Preschool
- Shoe-Free Facility to keep pesticides, chemicals, germs and bacteria from coming in
- Paperless Tuition Payment and Newsletters
- Greenguard Certified Classroom Equipment
- Recycled Pour In Place Playground Surfacing
- Cloth Diaper Friendly
- Toys and Educational Equipment from Green Companies
- Eco-Friendly Flooring
- Organic Garden and Composting
- Eco-friendly Cleaning Products (no harsh chemicals)
- Paperless Email and Text Reminders and Newsletters
- Electronic Sign In/Out Touch Pad Screen
- Eco-Friendly Website (host site is wind powered)
- Staff and Children Recycle
- Recycled Paper Products, Office Paper, and Toilet Paper
- We Use Non VOC Paint Products
- Each Classroom Contains One of the Top 10 Oxygen Producing Plants
- Curriculum Incorporates Protecting the Environment
- Limit the Use of Disposable Packaging and Water Bottles
Concern for the environment is not just for Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio it is a culture and through that culture we are able to impart knowledge and techniques to the students.