Kindergarten is a new beginning at Island Prep
Our Kindergarten class sets the tone for our elementary program. At Island Prep we believe a great classroom comes from the heart. Built on a love for education, exciting and enjoyable learning environments and helping students to feel like a part of our family making them feel safe and secure.
The Kindergartens focus on phonics instruction to accelerate reading skills are put at the forefront of lessons, as are tactile math instruction appropriately strategized for kindergarten ages. Our chosen curriculums are hand-picked to meet Florida standards with the flexibility to be intertwined with Island Prep’s unique way of teaching.
We believe it is very important for children to stay busy all day long, movement is key to active minds and bodies. Our children enjoy daily recess, PE class and an educational enrichment class.
We offer a speech and language pathologist for children who need additional assistance as well as having Occupational therapy and Reading Intervention services available.
Highly qualified, experienced educators and a hybrid curriculum are the cornerstones of our education process. See below for several examples of curriculum
- Explicit Phonics Instruction to Accelerate Reading Fluency
- Reading eggs to help students incorporate reading into play
- Iready to track student progress and supplement learning curves
- Singapore Math with hands-on learning
- Developmentally Appropriate Troubleshooting Strategies for Kindergartners
- Curriculum based on the National Standards
- Recess and PE Daily that Promotes Sportsmanship, cooperation and problem-solving skills
- Speaking, Listening, and Writing Skills Integrated into all Subject Areas
- Mystery Science as well as Scholastic Science
- Daily Communication with Teachers via Brightwheel
- Educational Field Trips-Suspended due to Covid 19
- Reading Mastery by McGraw-Hill
- Handwriting Without Tears
Our Enrichment Program takes a thematic approach to the arts, sciences, technology, music, and much more. In a given week students will be found studying Vikings, their culture, the geography and environment of the Scandinavian region, the music they played, the artistry in their carved ships. Another week may be the study of Peruvian tribes that live on islands made of reeds, students gathered cutting from the school grounds and made a science lesson to discover which plants would float the best when woven together.
Physical Education (PE) that incorporates
- Hand Eye Coordination
- Cardiovascular health
- Team sports
Natural and Environmental Features:
- Paperless Tuition Payment and Newsletters
- Greenguard Certified Classroom Equipment
- Outdoor Classroom and Garden
- Eco-friendly Cleaning Products (no harsh chemicals)
- Shoe-Free Environment