Second grade students take communication and understanding to the next level.
Our second grade classroom has it’s own unique community; Island prep feels that the role of the teacher is to assist each child that enters our classroom in developing his/her own unique learning style. At this grade level we feel it is so important to incorporate individual hands-on learning with projects at home to engage and stimulate student learning. Second grade is a safe and caring community which encourages our students to comfortably communicate with their peers and teachers and express themselves, discover who they are and leave the classroom with pride in the person they have become. We as a class work together towards building confidence and self-esteem by presenting our projects with other students, with parents, as well as sharing thoughts during our morning meeting. We foster close relationships with the students in both the upper and lower grades working on projects and reading programs together to facilitate peer encouragement. Every child is unique, and we encourage our class to embrace the differences in each other, learning that everyone has something special to offer. The second graders practice responsibility and community by participating in classroom jobs. We have high expectations and goals for each student and strive to help them to reach their potential.
Our Second Graders experience ASL, Health and Home, Art, Music, Social studies and mentoring, team building and much more, as well as delving into multiplication, esteem empowerment and STEAM curriculums.
We offer a speech and language pathologist as well as Occupational Therapy services.
2nd grade incorporates:
- Renaissance Program that incorporates Accelerated Reading to track student progress and monitor student growth.
- Being A Writer, Being A Reader, and Making Meaning Curriculum Programs
- Science, Technology, and Programming Skills
- Developmentally Appropriate Strategies for 1st Graders
- Curriculum-Based on the Florida Standards
- Daily Recess and P.E.
- Speech and Language Pathologist
- Occupational Therapy
- Hands-on Science Lessons
- Daily Communication with Teachers using Bloomz App
- School Garden and Compost
- Thematic based enrichment classes
Our Enrichment Program takes a thematic approach to the arts, sciences, technology, music, and much more. In a given week students will be found studying Vikings, their culture, the geography and environment of the Scandinavian region, the music they played, the artistry in their carved ships. Another week may be the study of Peruvian tribes that live on islands made of reeds, students gathered cutting from the school grounds and made a science lesson to discover which plants would float the best when woven together.
Physical Education (PE) that incorporates
- Hand Eye Coordination
- Cardiovascular health
- Team sports
Natural and Environmental Features
- Paperless Tuition Payment and Newsletters
- Greenguard Certified Classroom Equipment
- Outdoor Classroom and Garden
- Eco-friendly Cleaning Products (no harsh chemicals)
- Shoe-Free Environment